Fun with Partner Yoga?! In this rehearsal, we played with poses from Melissa's (my better half) book on partner yoga. It turned out to be a fun, somewhat silly rehearsal.
Incredible first day at the conference--over 900 people in attendance. Saw my professor Kaye (from Akron U over 18 years ago) give a presentation with Brian (who I danced with in GroundWorks Dance Theater some 13 years ago). Took a master jazz class with a group of incredible, masterful teachers: Karen, Thom, Patricia and Darwin. They were truly inspiring...and, my friend Billy (also one of our great living master jazz dance teachers) was in class with me. Got to tap with Anita (I have used her book for years) in a workshop she presented on collaborating with a composer. Attended a presentation by Yo-el who I had danced with in one of the 5x5 Dance Festivals (can’t remember if it was a NYC or CT one). He teaches modern for Boston Ballet School and was there with a researcher who demonstrated (experientially) a way to use research in dance education--specifically in the classroom. After grabbing a quick bite to eat, I met up with a whole group of jazz dance educators at the hot...
I have officially been living in St. Louis for two months as of last Sunday. While I have much left to learn about this city and its unique culture, I am not going to let a lack of information, experience, and time prevent me from making some snap judgments about my new home town. After all, if making brash, uninformed generalizations and providing personal opinions as if they are scientific fact are good enough for our national politicians, then they are good enough for me. Thumbs Down 1) Provel Cheese First, I have to tell you about Provel. Prov-what? you say. Provel. It is this processed cheese substance made from cheddar, swiss, and provolone that is all the rage in St. Louis, but nowhere else. Why hasn’t this trend caught on in other regions? Why hasn’t it spread throughout the country? Because, it is awful. It is one of those terrible culinary idiosyncrasies that you can only love because you grew up with it. 2) Help Yourself Shrimp Bar The grocery store down...
From the group cohesive value systems in Traditional tribal, folk, and social dance, individuals emerge with a desire to express themselves, displaying their prowess, in contrast to others--meeting the needs and motivations of the Gravesian Egoistic system. Here, the individual discovers what Graves calls the “awareness of self as a possibly powerful being separate and distinct from others.” This is found in courting dances, recreational dance studios, Ethnic dance, and entertainment or commercial dance. Courting dances, from those found in the rituals of traditional cultures to the pea-cocking behavior of contemporary college students dancing at the local bar, exhibit traditional Egoistic motivations. On a more personal level, I started dance classes at thirteen and enjoyed the camaraderie of my classmates more than anything else. I felt I belonged within the group. Over time, I began to gain confidence in my ability and wanted to explore how I could express my individual pr...
Comments
Post a Comment